When Robert E. Lee’s father died in 1818, he inherited his property, including slaves. Lee immediately freed all his father’s slaves. When his wife’s father died in 1857, Lee became the executor of the estate. He freed his father-in-law’s slave in the middle of the Civil War.
Letter written by Robert E. Lee on December 27, 1856, long before Civil War started in 1861:
“There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former.”
LIBERALS HATE ALLOWING VOTERS TO DECIDE
The Liberals just can’t stand it when voters are allowed to decide an issue. They know, when We The People decide, they lose.
When Americans are allowed to vote on an issue, Liberals usually lose. That is the main reason Democrats fight to keep an issue away from voters and in the hands of government bureaucrats. Bureaucrats tend to lean Left, often Far Left, and can be easily controlled.
Two years ago, Liberals started demanding that the name of Robert E. Lee Elementary School, in East Wenatchee, Washington, be changed. The school board basically ignored them until the October 2017 board meeting. After listening to both sides and accepting the petition signatures from both sides, the board decided to let the voters in the district decide the name issue during the 2018 General Election this November.
NO, NO, CAN’T LET THE VOTERS DECIDE
The Alt-Left knew the voters would keep the name of Robert E. Lee, so they continued their harassment campaign:
- At the October 2017 meeting, board members listened to anyone who wanted to talk, and accepted the petitions. There were over 4,000 signatures from local residents to keep the name, and just 643, mostly from outsiders, to change the name.
- In the end of the October meeting, the board voted to put the “name issue” before the voters in the next general election, November 2018. This made the “change the name” crowd mad and the “keep the name” group happy.
- Both sides knew, if the school board ignored the ones who scream the loudest, and allowed voters in the district to decide, that it was likely the name would remain the same.
- Harassing individual board members, demanding they change their mind.
- Knowing full well that the October agenda listed the name change issue and invited citizens to attend, whiny Liberals claimed that the decision to put the matter to a vote was made behind closed doors. Hopefully, this back room was not smoke-filled because Liberals hate smokers almost as much as they hate voters.
- Then Liberals harassed and threatened the superintendent, the East Wenatchee mayor and others. That maneuver was somewhat successful as the superintendent & mayor reversed their previous stances. This did not change the board’s original decision to put it out to a vote of the district’s residents.
- Upon receiving a request from two local Liberal attorneys to review the law, the Douglas County Prosecuting Attorney issued a cease & desist letter to the School Board.
The name change will be on the school board’s meeting agenda again on January 8th.
LIBERALS ARE SEETHING WITH RAGE, WANTING TO AVENGE 2016 ELECTION LOSS
Rage needs an outlet. Liberals have been seething with anger since last year’s presidential election and hunting for ways to vent their rage. Besides rioting in the streets and cooking up all kinds of faux narratives to harm the Trump Administration, they have focused on removing any trace of the historical figures they don’t like. This is EXACTLY what dictators throughout history have done.
Liberals are on a rampage to destroy America’s history, and won’t stop when General Robert E. Lee is purged from history. Like dictators throughout history, Liberals want to destroy cultural pride & morale, thus making it easier to control the masses.
At the October school board meeting the Liberals invoked Hitler’s name when they ran out of talking points. Poor Adolph, hanging with Liberals sure gives him a bad name. Like Germans 80 years ago, Liberals likewise want us to ignore what our own minds, hearts & intellect tells us to do, and blindly follow their lead as they destroy American history.